[e2e] Congestion control is not mandatory?

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Tue Sep 14 10:34:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:52:26PM +0200, Michael Welzl wrote:
> How come?
>
> This is curious ... it just occured to me that RFC 2581 is
> just a Proposed Standard.
>
> That means that I can build a fully conformant TCP/IP
> which does not do congestion control, doesn't it?

RFC 1122 says (on page 89):

	Recent work by Jacobson [TCP:7] on Internet congestion and TCP
	retransmission stability has produced a transmission algorithm
	combining "slow start" with "congestion avoidance".  A TCP MUST
	implement this algorithm.

So that's a "no."  Or maybe a MUST NOT.

--
Ted Faber