[e2e] Header length field in IP header

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 23 11:18:41 PDT 2004

I'm not advocating for not creating new services.

I don't see any utility to using "unused bits" in IPv4, which aren't
actually unused so much as 'declared invalid', vs. just changing the IP
version number, adding an option, or any of a dozen other more
conventional ways.

The key here is that using these unused bits doesn't buy anything; if
packets that don't know this mod will drop the bits, then why not just
use an IP option? or a new version that has IPv4 with another 32 bits,
all for Diff Serv?

Joe