[e2e] Header length field in IP header

Zaphod Beeblebrox label_label_label_label at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:20:30 PDT 2004

(I just wanted to keep the flow of the argument going,
no disrespect meant to anyone)

as an humble observation by an observer from another
galaxy,

Why don't earthlings do this:

             DNS-------DNS----DNS
              |          |      |
Endhost1----NAT1-------NAT2---NAT3-----endhost2

Since all end hosts will always do a name resolution,
we can treat that as a way to setup the path :), just
like a TCP handshake :)

In other words, if I want to talk to
endhost1.beeblebrox.com wants to talk to
endhost2.end2end.org , it contacts the DNS on NAT1,
gets a local IP on each side, NAT1 contacts NAT2 and
gets a locally significant IP on each side and so
on...
we could use nice words and call it "downstream on
demand IP distribution mode"

Hope this helps :),

-ZB