[e2e] Header length field in IP header

Zaphod Beeblebrox label_label_label_label at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 12:45:04 PDT 2004

Hi,

> > (I just wanted to keep the flow of the argument
> going,
> > no disrespect meant to anyone)
> >
> > as an humble observation by an observer from
> another
> > galaxy,
> >
> > Why don't earthlings do this:
> >

> >              DNS-------DNS----DNS
> >               |          |      |
> > Endhost1----NAT1-------NAT2---NAT3-----endhost2
> >

> > Since all end hosts will always do a name
> resolution,
> > we can treat that as a way to setup the path :),
> just
> > like a TCP handshake :)
>
> unless the source uses destinaiton's IP address
> without going through the
> name resolution. And if I trust arp caching, I am
> always going to get the
> same route. Further, this same route may have been
> "tore off" by the
> intermediate NAT gateways! So yes, the scheme will
> work in another galaxy
> where inhabitants do obey lots of constraints but
> earthlings are a different
> creature, they will go ahead and call your NAT
> gateway an LSR :)

exactly! (if LSR is indeed what I understand it is, as
per the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

"Primitive protocols" ( :-p ) like IP are not needed
in that case, right?

And again , we would need to "lookup the name" only
when setting up the path at the ingress, hence that
would help eliminate a lot of problems.