[e2e] Question about propagation and queuing delays

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Aug 21 20:44:54 PDT 2005

I can repeatably easily measure 40 msec. coast-to-coast (Boston-LA), of
which around 25 msec. is accounted for by speed of light in fiber (which
is 2/3 of speed of light in vacuum, *299,792,458 m s^-1 *, because the
refractive index of fiber is approximately 1.5 or 3/2).   So assume 2e8
m/s as the speed of light in fiber,  1.6e3 m/mile, and you get 1.25e5
mi/sec.

The remaining 15 msec. can be accounted for by the fiber path not being
straight line, or by various "buffering delays" (which include queueing
delays, and scheduling delays in the case where frames are scheduled
periodically and you have to wait for the next frame time to launch your
frame).

Craig Partridge and I have debated (offline) what the breakdown might
actually turn out to be (he thinks the total buffering delay is only 2-3
msec., I think it's more like 10-12), and it would be quite interesting
to get more details, but that would involve delving into the actual
equipment deployed and its operating modes.