[e2e] Question about propagation and queuing delays

David Hagel david.hagel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:13:41 PDT 2005

Thanks, this is interesting. I asked the same question on nanog and
got similar responses: that queuing delay is negligible on todays
backbone networks compared to other fixed delay components
(propagation, store-and-forward, transmission etc). Response on nanog
seems to indicate that queuing delay is almost irrelevant today.

This may sound like a naive question. But if queuing delays are so
insignificant in comparison to other fixed delay components then what
does it say about the usefulness of all the extensive techniques for
queue management and congestion control (including TCP congestion
control, RED and so forth) in the context of today's backbone
networks? Any thoughts? Are the congestion control researchers out of
touch with reality?

- Dave