[e2e] End-to-end is a design guideline, not a rigid rule

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Dec 1 11:40:08 PST 2005

[oops, Dave C. pointed out that I replied only to him, instead of only
to e2ei, and encouraged me to send it to the whole list]

The end-to-end argument was indeed a design guideline not a rigid rule
as proposed.   On the other hand, as you point out, Dave, its value as a
guideline is making a system scalable and evolvable.   And there's a
corollary:  building function into the network has costs as well as
benefits.   Too often we ignore those costs, because they are less
visible than the benefits.

However, I disagree with your example.  The problem is that topology
doesn't map to authority.   Yes, there are organizational boundaries,
and organizations have an interest in communications between peers.
However, those organizational boundaries do NOT correlate closely with
physical network boundaries.   The premature binding of organizational
boundaries to physical topological connect points is why NATs and so
forth so often miss the mark on solving the true "end-to-end" problems
we have.

So, I agree with you on your major point, but I disagree that email is a
good example of how to either apply or ignore the end-to-end argument.

One merely has to examine the move to having hotel ISPs spoofing SMTP
connections based on their organizational "interest" in blocking spam
(and their lawyers assert that the the law *requires* them to do this).
  That man-in-the-middle solution actually prevents better solutions
(such as crypto-authentication that prevents man-in-the-middle attacks)
to the actual end-to-end requirements that users want.