[e2e] End-to-end is a design guideline, not a rigid rule

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu Dec 1 16:36:16 PST 2005

I'll agree with points made in each of the emails in this thread.

 From my perspective, "end to end" includes both "end-to-end-across-a-
single-communication" and the "end-to-end-in-a-disruption-tolerant-
manner" models that Dave C mentioned. End to end in an email means
that when I send a message to the various recipients of end2end-
interest, I expect service in each of the hundreds of cases of that
to be essentially the same - that the content of the message will not
be changed en route, that the envelope of the SMTP message will be
updated at each application layer hop to facilitate problem
diagnosis, and that delivery will be timely within the service limits
of the application or a response will be sent to me saying that it
could not be accomplished. Supporting that, the MUA-MTA, MTA-MTA, and
MTA-MUA hops will similarly be handled with minimal effort. One would
expect that the interaction of MUAs and MTAs across a network of ISPs
to be indistinguishable from one in which they all happened to be
colocated on a common LAN apart from the rate and timing side-effects
of the engineering of the network.

One place where I depart from a common view of the end to end
argument is that there are times when it makes sense to actively
enquire of the network and expect the network to make a response that
characterizes itself. A completely "stupid" network, such as a 3/4"
diameter yellow coaxial cable, would not be able to respond, and as I
understand Isenberg, that is the way all networks should behave. All
intelligence should be in the end system and only in the end system.
But (Dave R, tell me if I am wrong) Saltzer/Reed doesn't seem to
suggest that. The point of the original end-to-end argument was not
that intelligence should reside only in the end station or only in
the application; it was that a lower layer should not do something
that also had to be done at a higher layer without a good
justification. An example, often repeated, is that LAPB go-back-N
retransmission is redundant in the presence of TCP or application
retransmission, and that it measurably resulted in packet duplication
around bit errors. That said, 802.11 also has retransmission, and if
it didn't, behavior on wireless LANs would be a lot worse than it is.
Hence, we retransmit in TCP in the general case, but 802.11 presents
a case where link layer retransmission is still justified. This
understanding of the end-to-end principle would seem to suggest that
interactions with the network that inform the intelligent edge and
enable it to make better decisions are within the principle's scope.
I view both the integrated services and the differentiated services
architectures in that light - one doesn't want the network to subvert
the intent of the intelligent edge, but interactions that enable it
to better achieve its intent are good.

And then, what is subversion? It is pretty common to put in what
amounts to a network honeypot, in which one of the addresses in a
prefix is routed down a tunnel to a collector. In the event that
anyone sends something to the address, the collector picks it up, and
management remediation actions follow. Is this "subversion of
routing"? I would argue that it is "routing", but is not
"subversion". Ditto the case where a system comes under attack and
network ops staff reroutes the address through the same kind of
tunnel. That certainly subverts the attack, and makes the targeted
system unavailable for a period of time until the attack can be
interdicted. But for any legitimate use of the targeted system, it's
hard to describe as subversion; it's part of the process of restoration.

As to NATs and such - to my way of thinking, a NAT is two things in
one. It is a stateful firewall (it maps active authorized address/
port pairs, creates such a mapping if it originates from "inside",
and if the mapping doesn't exist it blocks communication from the
"outside"), which if one thinks having skin on the human body is good
for its health one has to consider a reasonable prophylactic
protection. To the extent that applications and protocols above the
network layer know something about network layer addresses, NATs also
create difficulties in deploying such applications. In that sense, a
NAT is a man-in-the-middle attack, something that makes life
difficult for the application. I'm all for good firewalls; the end to
end model doesn't speak highly of things that break application
behavior, however.

So, coming back to Dave C's point about our current network
architecture not doing very well with hidden boundaries, I would say
"you are correct; it doesn't". I don't think that is a failure of the
end-to-end principle, however. It may be a failure of our ability to
apply it correctly. If all applications were message-based, like
email is, one could imagine a firewall acting something like an MTA -
terminating the conversation in one domain and then repeating it in
another, in a manner entirely consistent with the end-to-end
principle as applied to email in its two forms of end-to-end-ness. If
all applications were able to be proxied, like SIP, or the various
users of SOCKS are, the proxy could literally be the trusted-and-
known third party that made the transition happen. If IP were very
slightly different, with the AS number in the header and listed in
DNS and the routing protocols, and addresses being understood as
local to the identified AS, we could assign an AS to every region
behind a NAT, and the whole thing would work quite nicely end to end.

The problem is not that the architecture and available tools don't
handle the concept of separation of domains; it is that our current
common implementation of separation of domains involves a man-in-the-
middle attack on a subset of the relevant applications and protocols.
As Dave R points out, the man-in-the-middle attacks that we build in
make the network harder to manage and harder to maintain, and makes
the applications harder to improve. Fixing the architecture, in my
opinion, will involve removing the things that subvert the intent of
the end system, which is to say, changes them in the direction of
Salter/Reed's version of the end-to-end principle.