[e2e] YNT: A Question on the TCP handoff

Greg Skinner gds at best.com
Tue Dec 6 14:49:51 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 07:43:17PM +0100, Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Please correct me, if I´m wrong. But good ol´ RFC 793 does not know
> anything about CWND and SSTRESH but defines the most basic
> TCP algorithms. It does not take account congestion control. Is this
> correct? This is no problem, because that issue was simply
> not known when RFC 793 was written in 1981. TCP has seen some kind of
> evolution since then.

I'm not sure whether the issue was not known.  A question for the
internet history list, perhaps.

I was looking for something else when I happened upon some old tcp-ip
archives from the 1980s.  I found some early remarks from Van Jacobson
on congestion in the 1986 archives.  I vaguely recall there was some
discussion of the issue on the ietf list around that time, but I don't
know of any ietf archives of that time period that are available
online.

http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/misc/tcp_ip/

--gregbo