[e2e] Papers on router performance

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Feb 22 09:22:42 PST 2005

Hi:

This is a fun question but you have to refine it.

If you are saying, "what can be done on current CISCO/JUNIPER hardware"
I don't know of any papers, but I know lots of folks who can probably
answer the question.

If you are asking, "what could routers do?" the answer is, generally, not
an absolute, but rather a matter of "how much money do you have?"  In
general, hardware can be built to run at line rate, and then you simply
build deeper and deeper pipelines to fit in all the functionality you
want...

Craig