[e2e] A question regarding loss event rate estimation

Lim Kong Teong limkt_2 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 09:09:36 PST 2005

Hi,

I am sorry for asking this simple question, but I need to ascertain that I
do it correctly.

Let say, I am simulating a TFRC flow with deterministic periodic loss, and
4 packets are sent per RTT. I set the loss rate to 20%, that is for every
5 packets sent one packet will be dropped. So the drop pattern will be
as follow:

S S S S D S S S S D S S S S D S S S S D S S S S D S S S S D

S = successful packet and D = dropped packet

My question is how many packets in a loss interval: 4 or 5.

My understanding loss interval size is the successful packets between two
lost event, thus the size of a loss interval is 4. However, it is equal to
25%
(1/4) loss rate - not 20%.

Thank you.