[e2e] TCP losses

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at sun.com
Mon Feb 28 10:52:05 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 04:54, Sireen Habib Malik wrote:
> How long does TCP take to decide that its connection has gone to the
> dogs and that the Application must do something about it? RFC1122
> (section 4.2.3.5) talks about "atleast" 100seconds. Is this applied
> practically?

Most of the stacks I'm familiar with give an established connection at least
that long; perhaps more like 5+ minutes.  When there's a user waiting, they often
decide to give up before TCP does..

> It would be nicer, if the errors relevant for future large
> bandwidth-delay product IP over DWDM networks be given priority.

I guess it depends on what part of the network you have to use on a
regular basis.  The thing I keep surprising myself with is how many
differently-broken networks show improved performance when you shrink
the tcp window.

						- Bill