[e2e] overlay over TCP

Randall Stewart randall at stewart.chicago.il.us
Thu Jan 20 02:11:44 PST 2005

RJ Atkinson wrote:

> Perhaps one of the paths forward is for folks who propose new
> transport-layer
> protocols to also have an informational document targeted at folks who
> build
> firewalls (or other middle boxes) to help educate them on what the real
> risks
> are (and aren't) with the new protocol and also to give them help on how
> to implement support for that new protocol in their middle box...
>
> For example, with SCTP, one of the things that could help would be specific
> openly published information on efficiently re-calculating the SCTP
> checksum
> after a NAT has done its work, for example.  Many folks know how to do this
> with a Fletcher checksum (often because they've looked at BSDish code),
> but not so many know how to do it with SCTP's new checksum.
>
> (My assumption here is that the big barrier is confusion/ignorance. :-)

Ran:

I wish that the big barrier were confusion/ignorance... its not in
one large case I know of :-D .. its that there are not
enough customers demanding it.. and their are other priorities.

One customer (which is all I have requests from) is not enough
to get a F/W & NAT change to support SCTP.. at least on the
software side. The changes are in on the hardware side.. kind
of funny actually... and they say hardware changes slower :-D

I have actually started playing with the changes needed to
implement SCTP in NAT and F/W worlds of BSD first.. and then I
was going to move on to that other big O/S that I work upon
occasionaly... and then.. maybe when enough folks ask for
it I can hand the finished code to one of my colleages and
say.. here.. put this in :-D

But of course that is also amongst all my other "to-do"s and
not even in todays set :-o

--
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)