[e2e] overlay over TCP

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:53:56 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:31:59 -0500
RJ Atkinson <rja at extremenetworks.com> wrote:

> Perhaps one of the paths forward is for folks who propose new
> transport-layer
> protocols to also have an informational document targeted at folks who
> build
> firewalls (or other middle boxes) to help educate them on what the real
> risks
> are (and aren't) with the new protocol and also to give them help on how
> to implement support for that new protocol in their middle box...

It's not just the people who build boxes that get in the way, it is
the people who operate them.

> (My assumption here is that the big barrier is confusion/ignorance. :-)

That's one.  Fear is another.  My experience in this thread seems to
confirm that is a motivator for a handful of people that hang out in
even what has historically been a relatively clueful operator list:

  <http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2004-12/msg00735.html>

John