Fw: [e2e] overlay over TCP

Randall Stewart randall at stewart.chicago.il.us
Fri Jan 21 04:45:30 PST 2005

Alex:

You raise interesting points... and I agree.. when you
throw in a 1% loss or higher interesting things in real
networks begin to imerge..

Its hard to get a 1% loss on the Big I and test in
any sort of reliable manner ... but I have been able
to setup (in some of the earlier work I was doing
with Cisco's RBSCP) a pretend satellite network with
a modifed dummynet (it could not provide the packet
buffering needed for a 550ms rtt and 2Mbit per second
links... so I had to add buffering).

I ran roughly 25 passes of multiple sizes using
TCP and SCTP plain (and let me tell you this was a
week long project) and then I did the same for RBSCP
technology in place... and I ran the error rates
from 0 - 6% .. I attach a .ps file I have for just
the plain satellite network 0-6% error rates.. I won't
bore everyone (unless requested otherwise) with the
comparison with RBSCP in place.

All machines were FreeBSD 4.x using what comes
stock in KAME for TCP and SCTP.

Interesting numbers I have a whole range of transfer
sizes... but I thought these two would be most interesting...

Network config was something like:

Host-A      R-A   D-Net   R-Z   Host-Z

With the RTT between R-A and R-Z being around
550ms. Error rate was varied 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 %

Fun stuff this :-D

--
Randall Stewart
803-345-0369 <or> 815-342-5222(cell)