[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Jan 21 11:34:47 PST 2005

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0501211335290.11281 at tesla.psc.edu>, Matt Mathis write
s:

>But the more pragmatic solution (adopted here at PSC and may other places) is
>to declare half duplex Ethernet to be broken, and eradicate it wherever
>possible.  Where not possible, tell people that the maximum theoretical
>utilization is 1/e (35%), and they should be pleased if they get any better
>than that, because they are operating beyond the designed operating point for
>the media.

That 1/e is not consistent with Boggs & Mogul's work from SIGCOMM 1988.
Van Jacobson also reported results inconsistent with 1/e.  Indeed, I'd
thought 1/e had generally been discredited as a mistaken result from
inaccurate models.

Boggs & Mogul used multiple TCP's.  Van used a single one.

So what did they do such that the capture effect didn't happen?  And
does capture really yield 1/e or something different?

Craig