[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Matt Mathis mathis at psc.edu
Fri Jan 21 11:53:19 PST 2005

OK, you caught me!    It is easy to find pathological cases where you can get
no more than 50% utilization (full window in a single burst, gating all of
the acks on the return path.)

I think capture effect does not become a problem unless the end-system and
routers/switches can send true back-to-back packets for a large portion of the
window.  Just a small amount of idle makes the channel arbitration much more
fair.  It might be kind of interesting to try to reconstruct the Boggs result
with modern PC's.....

Thanks,
--MM--