[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue Jan 25 10:03:21 PST 2005

Jon,

You might check with some of the large storage-systems companies that still
use TCP between fast nodes.  One example here in Silicon Valley, a few years
ago, altered their stacks so the receive window was simply ignored -- they
knew their machines could keep up at 100Mb/s, so the sender just blasted
away.  Sort of like 3Com's NBT for LANs in 1988 -- start out by sending 42
full sized pkts back to back, see what's acked and either continue or throttle
way down (real end-end stuff).

In testing a Gb system here, our lab uses a pretty common PC and a Gb Enet
card to run over 300Mb/s on a LAN with cheap DLink switches (Gb Cu/fiber) --
no bottleneck in the LAN, just at the sender.  Of course our Ixia box can
whack along at a Gb, but again, no Gb LAN bottleneck.

With normal office switched LANs, there certainly will be limits reached in
the matrix and interswitch links, and those are usually spelled out in specs:
either for boxes or chips.  But, that's what backpressure is for.  :]

Alex