[e2e] TCP Local Area Normal behaviour? any references?

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 21 06:34:32 PST 2005

right - once people got over the argument
"TCP is aheavyweight protocol"
everyone used it to find the limit on
Their Favourite LAN -

even wide area, most the landspeed record stuff
(e.g. ipv6 6Gbps coast2coast) is TCP based

but what I am after is description of the normal dynamics of TCP on normal
configs rangin from shared to switched
10 to 100 ether environments -
how does the window and tx/rx packet rate vary over time
over a set of flows in a
typical site ?

how fair/efficient is TCP in normal operation when there's no router or
buffer in an intermediate node (yes i knoiw some switches have more than
1 packet buffers but ignore those)

In missive <20050121142201.7CCC421A at aland.bbn.com>, Craig Partridge typed:

 >>All the studies I can think of were done in the early 1990s and focused on
 >>proving the LAN technology rather than testing TCP (with the exception
 >>of Dave Borman's "whoops, TCP went a gigabit over HIPPI" work).  I'd dig
 >>in the IETF archives for Dave's talk.  I seem to recall Raj Jain did
 >>a couple of studies on FDDI around the same time (that showed the TTRT
 >>was a key parameter).
 >>
 >>Craig
 >>
 >>In message <E1Cruyt-0002qQ-00 at mta1.cl.cam.ac.uk>, Jon Crowcroft writes:
 >>
 >>>this is mainly for educational reasons, not research:
 >>>
 >>>so i am looking for any papers or dissertations about the typical behaviour of
 >> > TCP on a LAN - I cannot find
 >>>anything that doesnt include some intermediate device which is a bottleneck, b
 >> >ut I 'd love to see a set of
 >>>traces/analyses of a few of today's typical TCP implementations (lets say win9
 >> >8, XP, OSX, bsd, linux and some commercial
 >>>unix server ones) between typical cliens and servers on 10/100 (perhaps gigE).
 >> >..
 >>>
 >>>its sort of boring and i guess hard to get published but its quite hard to exp
 >> >lain and is the base case when
 >>>starting to teach TCP (and i know there's lots of "corner case" code which mea
 >> >ns that MTU and window choices may be
 >>>difference ...)
 >>>
 >>>pointers appreciated...
 >>>
 >>>j.