[e2e] New Reno

F. Bouy frasker at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 04:19:08 PDT 2005

Why nobody answering my question?

>May I know why step 1B in RFC 3782 is necessary? As far as I am concern if
>the sender is not already in the Fast Recovery procedure, the Cumulative
>Acknowledgement field will never covers more than "recover" [in step 1]
>because it will never have the chance to execute step 1A.
>
>I may miss something here. If I am wrong, I would appreciate a
>counterexample.

I have an extra question. The partial acknowledgement procedure in step 5
requires that the cwnd be deflated by the amount of new data acknowledged. I
understand the concern there, but if the amount of new data acknowledged is
sufficiently large (say nearly a window of data), wouldn't it make the
result negative? Although in this case it can be corrected to zero, we
cannot send any segment since the cwnd is completely closed.