[e2e] New Reno

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Jul 11 05:28:22 PDT 2005

In message <BAY13-F23DCBFD2EA5DF605C082D2B5DC0 at phx.gbl>, "F. Bouy" writes:

>Why nobody answering my question?

Because usually one lets the authors do it.

>>May I know why step 1B in RFC 3782 is necessary? As far as I am concern if
>>the sender is not already in the Fast Recovery procedure, the Cumulative
>>Acknowledgement field will never covers more than "recover" [in step 1]
>>because it will never have the chance to execute step 1A.

"recover" gets set in step 1A to the highest sequence number transmitted,
which may be well past the current ACK value.  The algorithm ensures
that cleaning up the segments between the current cumulative ack
and the highest value sent doesn't cause you to (re)enter frast
retransmit/fast recovery.

Craig