[e2e] a new IRTF group on Transport Models

Sally Floyd floyd at icir.org
Thu Jun 2 13:55:40 PDT 2005

Gengyu -

>By considering end2end transport layer protocol,
>whether packet drop rates of the metrics should be segment drop (error) rates?

I am not sure that I understand your question.

If you are asking whether we should call them packet drops or segment
drops, I think it depends on where they are measured.  I would use
the term "packet drops" to refer to drop rates measured at a router
(in a simulation or in an experiment).  However, as I assume you
are suggesting, it would probably be more accurate to use the term
"segment drops" for drop rates measured at the transport end-nodes.

- Sally