[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 22:07:20 PDT 2005

In missive <42A62132.8060900 at tipper.oit.unc.edu>, Simon Spero typed:

 >>Jon Crowcroft wrote:

 >>>and will lead to  far less memory wastage in hosts runnign all
 >>>that complicated TCP protcol - they can just send web pages and video
 >>>and audio and so on as a sequence of IP packets
 >>>[...]
 >>>IP over TCP: way to go.

 >>Yeah right.  What happens if one if the nodes on the path is
 >>unavailable?  The data just gets dropped. That's completely unacceptable.

um - sorry - you have lost me - there's a TCP connection from each node to every other node - i can stripe the data
how i like...

 >>You might think that the correct approach would be to layer IP over
 >>SMTP, to take advantage over well defined store and forward semantics.
 >>You might think that, but you'ld be wrong, and you'ld be wrong for the
 >>most obvious reason possible.  What part of  "IP over SMTP" involves XML
 >>encodings and HTTP? None at all. Sheesh.

why yes- actually i was thinking that DNS lookups should be re-implemented
in SOAP, then IP could be carried in DNS requests and responses...

of course, some cross layer optimisation could be done as web pages that contain URLs would have the URLs encoded
in XML so the lookups of IP addresses (and therefore TCP connections to them, in my architecture) would
be done "on the fly" and could be "pipe lined" thus saving seconds, if not minutes, in the
download times

 >>Simon
 >>p.s.
 >>There's way too much network overbuild right now for it not to be
 >>sensible to waste much of it, but the key is to waste responsibly.

good point

 >>What does it mean if the core has  infinite bandwidth, such that if
 >>packet makes it way into the core it won't face a congestion drop till
 >>it reaches the other side?
 >>What happens when the most likely cause of packet loss becomes gremlin
 >>perverted BGP converge ?

BGP? who said we were using BGP?

 >>Where is end-to-end when  the middle ground vanishes, and the world is
 >>split between the wired and connected, whose limits are unfathomable,
 >>and the mobile and the mote-ile, where every packet and every joule
 >>brings death a little closer?

ah, the  iMote in gods I, and the laser beam in your photonic core...yes

 >>"So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew
 >>they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably
 >>small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a
 >>gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens.
 >>The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across
 >>the night."

indeed, this is a fair justification for the VLBI project

 >>p.p.s.
 >>   What?  You were talking about Bernie Ebbers?  Never mind.

who?

 cheers

   jon