[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Thu Jun 9 02:02:33 PDT 2005

On 7/06/2005, at 7:22 PM, Michael Welzl wrote:
> This point has been raised several times: how exactly should
> a sender react to corruption? I fully agree that continuing
> to send at a high rate isn't a good idea.
> [...]
> So, why don't we just decide for a pragmatic approach instead
> of waiting endlessly for a research solution that we can't come
> up with? Why don't we simply state that the reaction to corruption
> has to be: "reduce the rate by multiplying it with 7/8"?
>
> Much like the TCP reduction by half, it may not be the perfect
> solution (Jacobson actually mentions that the reduction by half
> is "almost certainly too large" in his congavoid paper), but
> it could be a way to get us forward.
>
> ...or is there a reasonable research method that can help us
> determine the ideal reaction to corruption, irrespective of
> the cause?

I did some work on this as part of my PhD several years ago. A
summary of the work was published as:

R.Wade, M.Kara, P.M.Dew. "Proposed Modifications to TCP Congestion
Control for High Bandwidth and Local Area Networks.". Appeared in
"Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Conference on Telecommunications
(ICT'98)", July 1998.
(Paper available for download from http://www.rikwade.com)

At the time, I was working with 155Mb/s ATM and Fast Ethernet, and
looking at the performance of TCP congestion avoidance algorithms
over such networks. My thoughts were along the lines of those
mentioned elsewhere in this thread - why should TCP make such a large
reduction in its window size if loss was only due to a single ATM
cell drop, or corruption elsewhere in the stack.

The proposal in our paper was to maintain a weighted history of the
congestion window size and to attempt to use this value when
perceived loss was encountered. If the loss was a unique event, and
the connection was long-lived, then restart would likely be close to
the current transmission rate, and the connection could continue as
normal. If recurrent loss was encountered, then the algorithm
reverted to its normal mode of operation after three (for example)
attempts. Various values for the history weighting were simulated in
order to evaluate whether a more, or less, aggressive approach was
better.

I was quite happy with the results and it was a relatively simple
modification to the Reno implementation in both Keshav's Real
simulator and NS.
--
rik wade