[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Jun 29 11:20:01 PDT 2005

  *> with a few hundred bytes that were the problem.  Out of the entire
  *> several megabyte file, these few hundred bytes absolutely could not be
  *> convinced to traverse the ring counter-clockwise from this building, yet
  *> could travel anywhere else just fine.  If we tried to send a packet with
  *> these data, the FDDI interface would always accumulate an error.
  *>
  *> We sent out a field tech with an alcohol swap, and fixed the problem.
  *>
  *> The conjecture is that there was a particular bit pattern that would
  *> reliably get corrupted by the reflections on this fiber.  Cleaning the
  *> fiber fixed the problem.
  *>
  *> --ckg

GREAT story!