[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Jun 29 11:43:40 PDT 2005

  *>
  *> Our experience was that for AMPS we knocked the baud rate down as low as
  *> possible to 4.8K and abandonded the use of TCP/IP altogether as we could
  *> hit packet rate losses of 40% quite regularly and dropped connections.
  *>
  *> We implemented a protocol on top of UDP where we just used a sliding
  *> window (from memory about 16) and knocked the packet size to a small
  *> size (about 100 bytes max) and allowed out of order packets but with a
  *> timeout retransmission.
  *>

How does this differ from TCP with an MTU of 100 bytes and using SACK?  (ie
where's the magic?)

Bob Braden