[e2e] TFRC vs UDP

Syed Faisal Hasan rony3000us at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:17:19 PST 2005

To whom it may concern,

TFRC was designed for use by the Continuous Media (CM) applications. But why
will a CM application which is performing well using UDP, use TFRC if there
is performance gap (more latency, less number of packets transmitted in the
same time, high rate fluctuations in the beginning) betwen UDP and TFRC ?
May be thats the reason we haven't seen any applicatons using TFRC. On the
other hand there is no (I haven't found) research which analyzes the
performance difference between UDP and TFRC. It is clear that TFRC will not
perform exactly like UDP ( due to TFRC's friendliness with TCP), but how
much can we expect from TFRC?

Faisal