[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Mar 31 10:12:38 PST 2005

Alex - the underlying assumption is that traditional telephony delivers
911 functionality best.   Well, the word on the street is that in
California, if you call 911 on your basic, non IP cell phone, your exact
position is delivered to ... well, no one knows where, but it's a place
that has no capability to actually transfer that information to anyone
who actually can help you in an emergency.   Better to call directory
assistance for the phone number of your local police dept. and hope they
don't tell you "911", because that will guarantee 30-90 minutes of
screwing around.

OK, maybe wired phones still do 911 OK, but do PBXes?   I doubt it - so
the point about bosses may be bogus as well.

Here the argument that 911 should be "in the network" fails.   I'd much
rather have my actual physical telephone be smart enough to figure out
how to summon emergency services (perhaps finding the doctor who is in
the next cubicle over if the SLP emergency service existed), I think.

Dale Hatfield points out that the phone companies have made it
*impossible* to deploy a "911-like" service over the WWW, because who
can trust that a person would actually tell the truth that they have a
life or death situation on their hands.   But of course we can ALL trust
Verizon Wireless with our lives... yeah right.