[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB) lars-erik.jonsson at ericsson.com
Tue Mar 15 00:23:50 PST 2005

Alex,

People love Skype and other IP applications because
they do not have to pay for things they did not ask
for. VoIP is not POTS, and by using VoIP the user
can choose what kind of voice application he wants
to use, instead of being forced to pay for a complex
solution with "features" he did not ask for.

Consider the following text from the Skype end user
license agreement:
 "No Emergency Calls: by entering into this Agreement
 You acknowledge and agree that the Skype Software
 does not and does not intend to support or carry
 emergency calls."
To me, this is a very positive thing, as I know how
complicated and thus expensive it (by nature) is to
promise anything else, and I am not willing to pay
for that.

To some players on the market, it is of course a
threat that people now have the freedom to choose,
and that can cause panic in the walled gardens. But
personally I think this is good for communications,
and also for the communications industry (at least
for those who see opportunities instead of threats).

Cheers,
/L-E