[e2e] Is RED dead?

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Sun Oct 16 20:23:00 PDT 2005

> I would use google/MSN/yahoo/xyz if either one of
> them is faster than the
> other since each one provides the same service
>
> So if the content provider can get SPs to honor
> DS-TE on his packets
> (ofcourse coupled with a CAP on his circuit where he
> feeds the content) and
> deliver content faster to me, it makes sense from my
> view point to use his

That's what make sense to ISPs. Free lunch of
internet, esp. robust p2p networks, beat ISPs heavily
because there is so little gainback that could make
them thought internet is a good thing. We could not
overlook the fact that Internet has been open to
commercial world. In that world no service
differentiation means it's not a good platform.

Maybe this is off topic, but should we focus on
technical affairs while intellegent P2P network
becomes tools for virus or terrorist tools?

> content service.
> again there is no end to the abstraction, if all
> content providers ask for
> that facility we are back to where we started and i
> need more
> bandwidth......

This is not possible because a very large amount of
traffic is made up of p2p applications. We all know
that Bittorent and Edonkey are free tools and ICP/ISP
could not use them to provide high quality service
now. Could it be possible for those individuals who
share pirate CDs by eDonkey? If not, why could they
consume a lot of bandwidth as xinhua.com.cn which pay
a lot to provide better service? Could WRED help with
this situation?  On the other hand, if there is
diffserv enabled in ISP networks how could we manage
to control virus cost much of the bandwidth
provisioned to EF classes?

> plus I may not have too many users of say AOL in
> india, but a lot more of
> them in America, so should indian ISPs worry about
> the TOS bits set by AOL
> as it effects only a small chunk of their
> customers?..but is perfect from
> AOL's view point if they want to increase their user
> base in India...

That's that COPS cares about. From viewpoint of e2e
qos provisioning, AQM cares little on DSCP bits but
dropping packets randomly. An example, someone points
out that edonkey makes use of UDP/8094. Could WRED
affact UDP application throughput?

Jing