[e2e] Header length field in IP header

Zaphod Beeblebrox label_label_label_label at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 23:56:06 PDT 2005

> (I just wanted to keep the flow of the argument
going,
> no disrespect meant to anyone)
>
> as an humble observation by an observer from another
> galaxy,
>
> Why don't earthlings do this:
>

>              DNS-------DNS----DNS
>               |          |      |
> Endhost1----NAT1-------NAT2---NAT3-----endhost2
>

> Since all end hosts will always do a name
resolution,
> we can treat that as a way to setup the path :),
just
> like a TCP handshake :)

unless the source uses destinaiton's IP address
without going through the
name resolution. And if I trust arp caching, I am
always going to get the
same route. Further, this same route may have been
"tore off" by the
intermediate NAT gateways!

--->

so treat the nslookup more like "call the remote
end/drop the call"

you could always do something like
a. each host tells big box in the middle that he wants
to talk to some end
big box has a counter per destination call it
counter_using_dest
b. bigbox then checks if he already has a association
for that destination programmed in hardware
(counter_using_dest!=0)
c. if b is true then pop back that ip already given to
the end host and switch the rest in hardware
d. if not put a new entry in hardware
e. increment entry ref count by counter_using_dest++
f. one each host finishes its transaction, it has to
tear down the session.
on tear down counter_using_dest--
g. if counter_using_dest==0, delete entry, and tell
node further up towards destn that i dont need this
entry and so on...

sort of becomes a mixture of merged flows to same
destn, coupled with signalling

if remote end has to talk back, then the
identifier/name of the initiator has to be carried
inside the message of the association so formed, i.e
identify source within the message?

not same as flow switching as flow switching does not
rely on initiating hosts tearing down the
associations... waits for flow timeouts.. dont like
that too much :-(

mew mew?

-ZB