[e2e] Updated XCP version: xcp-nodiv

Aaron Falk falk at ISI.EDU
Mon Oct 17 16:16:21 PDT 2005

All-

We have completed an update on the XCP end-system and router code resulting
in a release of xcp-nodiv for FreeBSD-5.3.

The most significant change is that the per-packet router calculations no
longer include division.  This change is important because performing
line-rate divisions on production routers is undesirable.  To facilitate
this change we changed the Throughput header field to carry RTT/Throughput.
This value may be thought of as an idealized inter-packet time, although we
just call it 'X'.

The tarball also includes a matching protocol specification, modified
analysis tools, and scripts for exercising the algorithm.

We continue to develop the algorithm.  Current work addresses identifying
and responding appropriately to non-XCP queues, sharing bottleneck capacity
fairly with Reno-style flows, evaluating performance under a variety of
environments (e.g., intermittent links) and traffic models (e.g., web
mice), and a network processor implementation.

The tarball, specification (submitted for publication as
draft-falk-xcp-spec-01.txt), and mailing list information can be found at
<http://www.isi.edu/isi-xcp>.

--aaron