[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 12 08:50:53 PDT 2006

Ted Faber wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:20:47AM +0500, Fahad Dogar wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a very basic question: in theory, can we NOW use IP addresses
>> in place of MAC addresses.
>
> Short answer: "yes," with an "if."
> Long answer: "no," with a "but."
>
> IP addresses are (in principle) globally routable.
                                 ^
                              easily

You can route on MAC addresses too, but being flat that means core
routing tables would need to be flooded with everyone's MAC address.

Look at the size of your routing table. Then look at the size of your
ARP table. If your routing table has anything except default addresses,
consider that ARP table size multipled by the size of the number of
subnets at each other route entry.

Joe

 Having a locally