[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Fahad Dogar fahad.dogar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:02:33 PDT 2006

I understand why IP addresses (which are hierarchical in nature) are
needed but can't seem to appreciate the use of MAC addresses, in
addition to using IP addresses. Practically I can understand that they
are being used for legacy purposes and a move towards using IP
addresses as layer 2 addresses would require changes in ethernet
switches etc. But I am interested in knowing whether, in theory, we
would be restricted in functionality if we use IP addresses for layer
2 addressing. Suppose we were to redesign layer 2 technologies now,
can we use IP addresses in place of MAC addresses. With IPv6 I can't
even see any constraint on the address space.

Thanks,
Fahad