[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Apr 12 11:11:16 PDT 2006

rick jones wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Fahad Dogar wrote:
>
>> I have a very basic question: in theory, can we NOW use IP addresses
>> in place of MAC addresses. In other words, is there any other use of
>> MAC addresses other than using them for legacy reasons?
>

> I thought that IP (v4) addresses preceded MAC addresses?  And it seems
> odd to present it as a either-or proposition.

This is particularly true as some kinds of links don´t even have MAC
addresses, think of P-2-P links for example.

In other kinds of networks, subnet specific addresses as MAC addresses
are required for some technology specific tasks, think of the MAC
algorithm in Token Bus networks for example.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30