[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Puddinhead Wilson puddinghead_wilson007 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 12:02:23 PDT 2006

I think what is confusing him is that
"the mac address is not what identifies the end
device".
If it did, perhaps the confusion would not be there.

What we tend to do is "stack identifiers" or tend to
"keep them local". We have
MAC, then IP then again MAC. Now if MAC was global we
could all "talk on MAC plane". I would dial the MAC.

though flow switching is prone to hash collisions.. as
far as I can make out.

ideally it should be:
i transact from MAC A to MAC B, my "demux is local"
but my connection is global.

The problem i think comes when one tries to couple the
"end point identifier" with the "switching
identifier".
There is a whole lot on "connectionless and connection
oriented but I think TCP" is connection oriented too
while IP isnt so am not clear on the semantics