[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 13 16:11:15 PDT 2006

Puddinhead Wilson wrote:
> The local attachment identifer when I am on a
> wireless, could be anything, including a name, and
> that could be "my identity, my cell number, my postal
> address"

Of course. And it even may be the burned in hardware address, every
wireless unit is shipped with.

> Another algorithm could be
> "my device sends my name/mobile number/Enum number to
> the base station or a freq designated for something
> like DHCP, the base station sends out sends out a
> response like : Number so and so:use this freq and
> this code" for yourself.

Hm. Sounds like: Why do we use something which
a) exists,
b) works and
c) is amazingly simple?

This is boring.

Why shouldn´t we invent something new that
a) does not yet exist,
b) perhaps will never work and
c) is hopefully terrible complicated?

BTW: I found Craigs argument one of the most compelling ones.
Particularly in mobile networks, you will  distinguish between
"micromobility" and "macromobility". Much of actual mobility issues will
be covered by "micromobilty", i.e. are handled by the mobile network´s
internal mechanisms and hidden from IP.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau