[e2e] Fwd: Re: use of MAC addresses

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 13 16:20:12 PDT 2006

Puddinhead Wilson wrote:

> no, i m saying use what is anyway unique to the "end
> point" as it's idenfier.

Then, we should use the hardware address, typically the burned in MAC
address.

> If the MAC address is what people "dial" then the mac
> address it is. if the "phone number is what people
> dial" then let it be the phone number.

Hm. I´m not quite sure whether the good ol´POTS is still in use in the
UK. At least, I have an ISDN phone, and the phone number is not a
suitable means to identify a terminal. It can be reassigned exactly like
an IP address. Therefore, directing a phone call onto the correct
terminal is bascially a routing problem. Perhaps, you have noticed that
telco-guys typically talk about "layer 3" when they talk about those
problems.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau