[e2e] Fwd: Re: use of MAC addresses

weigengyu weigengyu at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 20:01:47 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Detlef Bosau" <detlef.bosau at web.de>
To: <end2end-interest at postel.org>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [e2e] Fwd: Re: use of MAC addresses

> Hm. I´m not quite sure whether the good ol´POTS is still in use in the
> UK. At least, I have an ISDN phone, and the phone number is not a
> suitable means to identify a terminal. It can be reassigned exactly like
> an IP address. Therefore, directing a phone call onto the correct
> terminal is bascially a routing problem. Perhaps, you have noticed that
> telco-guys typically talk about "layer 3" when they talk about those
> problems.
>
> Detlef

Historically,  the telephone number was the same as the hardware address,
so identified the physical position on the frame.
Now it is becoming a logical number, but there are means to record the relation of
the hardware address and the telephone number (or ISDN number).

>From the experience of telecom, separation of logical number and physical number is necessary;
and separation of IP address function and Mac address is also necessary.

Gengyu