[e2e] admission control vs congestion control

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 18 13:52:15 PDT 2006

- Delay until admission decision makes many such techniques unsuitable
for applications where humans are waiting ("post-dial delay")
- Overhead of probing, particularly if the probe has to be repeated
after a failure
- Guarantees tend to be weak, i.e., you may get a positive answer and
still suffer packet loss, particularly if the number of flows is small
and flows are bursty or on-off (such as voice) if the probe gets "lucky"