[e2e] What if there were no well known numbers?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 7 06:03:00 PDT 2006

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> In missive <44D614B8.8020303 at isi.edu>, Joe Touch typed:
>
>  >>> oh and I think we should have an explicit protocol for establishing a
>  >>> capability to _receive_
>  >>> ip packets
>
>  >>We do. It's called attaching to the Internet. IMO, that means you're up
>  >>for receiving probes to determine whether to proceed.
>
>  >>This is what motivated my interpretation of the network neutrality
>  >>issue, that originally was presented at a workshop about a year ago:
>  >>http://www.isi.edu/touch/internet-rights/
>
> Joe
>
> a capability to receive would indicate _who_ you want to receive
> packets _from_.

All forms of communication are bootstrapped by first determining if you
are the intended receiver. Making the receiver initiate that process
only relabels the endpoints; the receiver now needs to initiate
communication with new parties. The net result is that senders can no
longer reach any new parties. That's a very uninteresting network, IMO.

> what we have now is the right to be bombarded or not. different.
>
> the problem with many capability based systems is that they require
> the sender to get a cpaability to send to a receiver which either
> moves the problem to the capability server for the receiver which
> means that then gets bombradred (see papers on denial of capbiability
> attacks)
> or else puts the receiver at the mercy of a 3rd party (probably
> distributed and overprovisioned) cqapability service - i.e. less net
> neutrality
>
> requireing a receiver to control who can speak to them as a
> fundamental part of connectivity (I have a paper i might submit to a
> hot workshop about one approach to
> the implementation details for this if i can get around to it...)
> is an altogether more neutral scheme...

That'd be interesting only if it could show how to initiate
communication with a new party without reversing the labels.

Joe