[e2e] What if there were no well known numbers?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Aug 7 08:50:38 PDT 2006

Joe/Jon - "stop - you're both right!" (from an old TV commercial).

Ultimately there are two essential parties to any message - the sender
and the receiver - and a collection of unessential but helpful third
parties (the network components that may help facilitate that
communication).

The sender and receiver make a JOINT decision to send and to accept the
sending.   Neither comes first in any essential way.

Jon is focused on delegating to third parties the job of blocking
unwanted sends.  Joe is focused on delegating to third parties the job
of presenting opportunities to receive to anyone who wants to.

Neither of you wants the third parties to become first parties -
deciding on their own which communications should happen.  (I posit
this, though it is evident only implicitly in your views).   Of course
there are third parties who very much view it as their right to decide
both who can send and who can receive messages.  (Verizon, for example,
wants an exclusive franchise to decide who can receive broadband in the
areas they provide service for and also an exclusive franchise to decide
who can provide content that is received; governments want to provide
non-discretionary policy controls as well, focused on blocking
communications to which the government is not allowed to read the content).

But it is important to be skeptical of the idea that "the network"
(which is hopefully a collection of independent and autonomous networks,
at least in the case of the Internet) can provide any sort of
non-discretionary guarantees of protection.   At best (end-to-end
argument here) we ought to be able to make it easy for joint decisions
to exchange messages to happen, and the number of non-joint decisions
that are unwanted should be kept to a dull roar.