[e2e] Internet Packet Loss Measurements?

Roman Chertov rchertov at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 11 09:05:52 PDT 2006

Christian Vogt wrote:
> Hello e2e folks,
>
> does anyone know about recent measurements on end-to-end packet loss in
> the Internet?

I came across this paper the other day which you might find useful.

M. Allman, W. Eddy, S. Ostermann. Estimating Loss Rates With TCP. ACM
Performance Evaluation Review, 31(3), December 2003.
This paper introduces mechanisms for estimating the real loss rate of
packets at the TCP sender with TCP Reno and with SACK option. Simply
counting the number of retransmissions often gives wrong results because
TCP senders do spurious retransmissions for various reasons. The paper
identifies some of the reasons for unnecessary retransmissions.

Roman