[e2e] Extracting No. of packets or bytes in a router buffer

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Dec 13 12:38:56 PST 2006

In message <0511C607B17F804EBE96FFECD1FD9859F608CC at cs-exs2.cs-nt.bu.edu>, "Mark

>What MIB provides queue sizes?  I am not sure that 'standard' is the
>right word when talking about MIBs :).   Maybe some MIBs provide queue
>sizes but the one most commonly used in backbone routers (MIB-II, RFC
>1213) doesn't provide instantaneous queue lengths as far as I know.  If
>I am wrong, please correct me.

Hi Mark:

>From MIB-II, p. 23:

          ifOutQLen OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  Gauge
              ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  mandatory
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The length of the output packet queue (in
                      packets)."
              ::= { ifEntry 21 }

If I remember correctly, we put it there in MIB-I.  Note this is per
output interface.

[chair, IETF MIB-I Working Group... not something I advertise widely]

Craig