[e2e] Extracting No. of packets or bytes in a router buffer

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Fri Dec 22 14:54:03 PST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Matt Mathis wrote:

> Another approach is to get accurate time stamps of ingress/egress
> packets and
> use the difference in the time stamps to compute effective queue
> depths.

I'm not sure I believe that approach. A TDM drop-and-insert-
multiplexor has a constant queue depth and 100% utilization, while a
statistical multiplexor has a variable queue depth when it has 100%
utilization. The depth of the queue becomes a question of your model
of the arrival and departure processes.