[e2e] TCP Congestion Avoidance

Scott Johnson jsj at ieee.org
Wed Feb 15 17:23:42 PST 2006

I was wondering if there was a feeling among the list members if the
approximation for TCP throughput developed by Matthew Mathis, Jeffrey
Semke, and Jamshid Mahdavi in their 1999 (I believe it was 1999) paper
entitled "The Macroscopic Behavior of the TCP Congestion Avoidance
Algorithm" is still valid?  I am particulary curious if folks feel that
it could be approximated as:  throughput <= ~0.7 * MSS / (rtt * sqrt
(packet_loss)).  This representation came from a paper by Phl Dykstra
titled Gigabit Ethernet Jumbo Frames (
http://sd.wareonearth.com/woe/jumbo.html  ).

The topic came up at work and I didn't know if , with the passage of
time, people still feel it is valid.  I would sincerely appreciate any
comments.

--

Regards,

       Scott Johnson