[e2e] 0% NAT - checkmating the disconnectors

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Feb 22 09:20:03 PST 2006

So, in the spirit of potentially opening up a can of worms (pardon the
pun!) for those of us who believe an open, well-lit Internet is better
than a dark and dank collection of twisty passages and side streets of
the sort being constructed by the security mavens and their opponents ...

Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to collectively create the
next generation *Inter* Net - one that actually provides the
interoperability that all of us old codgers dreamed was possible when
Licklider, Taylor, Englebart, etc. first imagined it and Vint Cerf and
Bob Kahn made it happen?

Of course we need to pay attention to real security and create a space
that is inherently safe both from bad guys and guys like Verizon and SBC
and oppressive governments who want to decide what connections should be
allowed, while denying all others.

It seems that the action will be in creating a pervasive, and
easy-to-adopt flexible, secure and resilient overlay.   One where the
bad boy "gunslingers" who offer "protection" on behalf of our employers
and governments can't scare the kiddies off the streets, and allow us to
take back the Internet.

We know that NATs don't protect us very well, and we know that firewalls
don't either.   Yet they sure get in the way and create points of power
for those who would keep us disconnected.

We also know that Microsoft, Linux, and Apple (among others) are under
tremendous pressure to "save us", so they are pouring more and more
"disconnectivity" into their platforms in the form of packet inspection
and mandatory, non-discretionary controls on what can be done.

None of this garbage is being thought through critically in terms of its
global impact - instead it's being piled in heaps and gobs all
throughout the network.

Who speaks for connectivity?   Who speaks for openness?   Fewer and
fewer, it seems.