[e2e] seeking help recalling a network term

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 01:06:38 PDT 2006

In missive <e715d03bb4a90c2eee0bd1707a6e4adf at cs.utexas.edu>, Chris Edmondson-Yu
rkanan typed:

 >>I know how much you like history, so here's some fun:

 >>That was Donald Davies concept (who independently invented packet
 >>switching in the UK in 1965); he used the term isarithmic, the Greek
 >>term for "equal").

it was part of the french 1st packet switched net hop-bu-hop traffic
management (flow, congestion and crowd control) technology.... its way
cool and the idea has been re-invented lotsa times including in other
areas like road-trains

also bittorrent incentive matching technology is basically the same
concept

the closed loop e2e feedback that TCP uses isnt, but with ECN or
re-feedback, it starts to sound like a (weak) approxiamtion

davies was very very very clever

 cheers

   jon