[e2e] low latency multicast trees

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 2 06:44:27 PDT 2007

Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> nowadays we're starting to see soem serious multicast action out there in them thar woods,
> so maybe its time to re-visit low latency trees (I know most the stuff is IPTV and single
> source/streamed, but someone is gonna wanna do games any day now)

People do games using mcast, but through server systems (typically where
they control membership and monitor usage). Those systems allow
resynchronization - sort of like the way multiparty audio/video used to
work before we could do echo cancellation and multi-pane video on
endsystems.

They've been doing this for quite a while - e.g., from MUDs to things
like SimCity. As Dirk noted, a key concern is revenue issues - Dirk
highlighted the problem of network provider billing, but the game host
sites (e.g., gaming companies) want tight control over their billing too.

Joe

Joe Touch                Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment
               Postel Center Director & Research Assoc. Prof., USC/ISI