[e2e] low latency multicast trees

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 06:32:20 PDT 2007

In missive <46B0889C.2010303 at cs.colorado.edu>, Dirk Grunwald typed:

 >>Jon Crowcroft wrote:
 >>> nowadays we're starting to see soem serious multicast action out there in them thar woods,
 >>> so maybe its time to re-visit low latency trees (I know most the stuff is IPTV and single
 >>> source/streamed, but someone is gonna wanna do games any day now)
 >>> --

 >>I'm assuming you're referring to intra-AS multicast? My impression was
 >>that inter-AS multicast wasn't done because (largely) there's no revenue
 >>model for it.

yes intradomain -

there are several revenue models for interdomain (just as much as there are reenue models
for interdomain unicast) but there's not yet the demand...gotta start somewhere:)

 >>I was also under the impression that most companies providing TV
 >>services were either using PON to duplicate & distribute the bulk of it,
 >>or, when using IP layer multicast, carefully engineering the
 >>provisioning network (as in the UTOPIA network -
 >>http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel5/35/32917/01541706.pdf

 >>Are companies really trying to distribute IPTV over the broader internet?

yes - see

PCCW's IPTV in Hong Kong, France Telecom's MaLigne TV,
Telefonica's Imagenio in Spain, and AT&T's U-verse
for example - these are perfectly serious offerings which work (actually some better than
other more "traditional" digital tv stacks)

 cheers

   jon